Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Playboy Club Holds The Key

For a while there hasn't been a good TV show for me to watch and stay on top of.  For some, there's The Good Wive, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives and so forth.  I never watched The Good Wife, can't stand Grey's Anatomy, watch Private Practice and here and there and would never watch Desperate Housewives.  Yet, I will watch shows such The Real Housewives on Bravo (minus New York), The Real World (MTV), Mob Wives (VH1) and other guilty pleasure shows.  It wasn't until The Playboy Club came on, that I realized how much I missed and enjoyed an actual TV show with fine performances and a great storyline(s) that can be built upon from here until eternity.  And that show for me is The Playboy Club.

Set in the early to mid sixties, the show focuses on, none other than, the Playboy Club in Chicago, Ill.  The frequent patron of the club is Nick Dalton (Eddie Cibrian), and lawyer on the rise, who is seeing one of the original bunnies played by Laura Benanti.  But along comes a new bunny played by Amber Heard.  The pilot of the show involves a murder, a supposed love triangle, mobsters, lawyers, lies, truths and everything in between all of them.  Oh yeah, there's also civil rights and gay rights story lines added, but not over powering or over the top.  Just enough to make its points and move on, which makes for a very interesting show, to say the least. 

What I enjoy about the show thus far, is nothing is shoved down your throats.  You get a bit of history of the club with a whole lot of "how are they going to get out of this one" to "they are getting in deeper and deeper".  But above it all, you have some very likeable characters. 

I watched the first episode, and started the second one last night, but I was hooked with in the first five minutes of episode one.  My only gripe about the show is Bunny Maureen (Amber Heard).  She seems out of the place for me as someone from the sixties.  She looks more modern day and it throws me off just a tad, but not enough that I can't enjoy the show and wonder what's going to happen next.  Oh, by the way, Bunny Maureen killed mobster with the heal of her show when he tries to rape her in the back room.  And the mobster isn't just any ole mobster, he's head of the Bianca Crime Family.  Which is the same crime family that helped Nick get where he is today.  A hot shot lawyer.

Nick helps Maureen get rid of the body but dumping it into a river.  And that's when things go from bad to worse, but in a good way, because it keeps you coming back for more.

So far we have seen the back of Hefner's head and bits and pieces of the Playboy Mansion.  But I'm sure in due time, we will see more of Hugh and the Mansion.

I think The Playboy Club has a chance to be around for a while for it holds the key to a great drama with a murder mystery involved.




1 comment: