Search This Blog

Sunday, September 4, 2011

When the PROJECT is a RUNWAY

20110904-121113.jpg
I don't know that much about fashion but this show is one of my favorites to watch and have been since about season two or three. Usually on the shows of this nature I try to learn a little bit just in case I want to get into Harvard and one of the questions on the entrance exam is about Project Runway (Insert laugh machine). But I haven't learned anything from this show, but I love the show just the same. 

For those not familiar with the show, it allows amateur designers a chance to showcase their sewing talents, design talents and overall creativeness by creating outfits each week. Their outfits are displayed via a model during the runway challenge in which after all the outfits have made their debut, the judges which consist of Heide Klum (also the creator of the show), Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and a guest judge make a decision on which design they felt was the best (that person wins immunity for the week and can't be eliminated in the next challenge ( no immunity necklace is draped around their neck though). The loser of the runway challenge is sent packing. The last person standing at the end of the season gets their collection shown at (when the show was on Bravo before moving to Lifetime TV) Bryant Park. Unfortunately, I don't remember where their collection is being showcased now. Also during the show one of the designers that win the challenge for the day gets a spread in Marie Claire magazine showcasing their outfit. 

My favorite person of the show is Tim Gunn. I enjoy his honesty with the contestants, how he mentors them and especially when he says, "Make it work". 

Do I watch the show for the drama that takes place between the contestants in the workroom and sometimes at the house? Why of course. Why else do we watch 'reality' TV? But I will admit that if the drama over shadows the core of the show, I will not watch. Case and point, Dancing Moms also on Lifetime. I tried watching an episode and all they did was argue and make asses out of themselves in front of their kids. But I digress. Oh yeah and the designers do talk crap about each other's design to the camera from time to time. 

During the course of the show while the designers are creating their design they sometimes have to McGyver their cloth or the entire design if it does not come out as they had hoped or if it comes down to the wire and they have to head out on the runway for the runway challenge. 

To see what people can do with cloth amazes me and the designs they come up with sometimes has me in awe. They create outfits strictly from scratch. Let me add the outfits are determined by the day's challenge presented before them by Heidi. If Heidi takes them to the zoo then the challenge will have the designers creating an animal pattern and outfit without using cloth made from animals such as leather or fur. 

I enjoy the creative side of the show. Probably because I am a creative person myself, but you don't have to fashionista or a creative person to like the show. Just watching someone take nothing and make something out of should be enough. 

Project Runway is on Thursday nights at 9pm PST. 

You still have time to catch this season's show. As of this writing (3 September 2011) they have 12 contestants left out of 16.

And as Heidi says, "In fashion, one day you're in, the next day you're out".

Auf wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment