Search This Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Talk Is Worth The Conversation - But Chen Has The Last Word

I was very skeptical of The Talk when it was being advertised.  I thought to myself, 'not another The View', and 'they are going to be just like The View and they can't'.  Although I had lost complete interest of The View after watching for only one seasons, the year before last and last year, I didn't want to see another show that was either trying to be like it or worse than it.  Worse meaning, having one person on there that think they know everything and won't let others get their point in.  But I was wrong.  The Talk is nothing...NOTHING, like The View.  And the main difference for me is, I like all the women on The Talk (that's on there now, Season 2) and not a fan of the majority of the women on The View.

L to R: Holly Robinson-Peet, Sharon Osbourne, Julie Chen, Leah Remini, Sara Gilbert

I started watching the show towards the end of Season 1 when Leah Remini, Holly Robinson-Peet, Julie Chen, Sara Gilbert and Sharon Osbourne made up the hosts of the show.  Season 2 saw Holly and Leah gone and replaced by Sheryl Underwood (hilarious person - you probably remember her from Beauty Shop as the woman who came into the shop with a food cart selling soul food and monkey bread) and Molly Shannon (Saturday Night Life alum).  Sharon isn't on as often, as she wants to spend more time with Ozzy, so Kris Jenner fills in at times.  I have to admit that I'm not missing Holly that much.  She seemed a bit serious for my taste, but Leah was funny and not as uptight.

 Sheryl Underwood



What I really enjoy about Sheryl is her sense of humor.  She comes up with the craziest things, but at the same time she makes some good points about things.  She has a way of combining her humor and her seriousness that even if you disagreed with her, you would still laugh and probably think about what she said.  She comes across as being very down to earth and doesn't take herself to seriously.  

As for Molly, I like seeing a more serious side of her.  She's not you pain-in-the-ass serious person at all.  I guess what I'm saying is, its nice seeing Molly and not one of her many characters.  I hope these two women stick around for more seasons.


Kris Jenner

As for Kris Jenner, I don't have much say, good or bad about her, so I'll end it there with her.

The format hasn't changed, just the hosts.  They do their morning round table and talk about things in the media or everyday life.  Afterwards they bring on a guest or two.  

As mentioned, I do enjoy the show and hope they keep the current hosts around for a while.  For some reason, I can relate to these women more than I can to the women on The View.  I feel like I could go up to any of these women and wouldn't be given the cold shoulder treatment or even worse, a fake "hi".

And as the title says, The Talk is worth the conversation.

UPDATE:  A friend turned me on to an article about Julie Chen and her being responsible for Leah and Holly being let go.  Read it here:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/entertainment/report-julie-chen-fired-co-host-holly-robinson-peete-talk

I am going to do more research and report back.

UPDATE 11:22AM PST 25 SEPT 2011:  I won't be watching The Talk anymore due to information I read about Chenbot.  So, my statement above is true up to today. 

2 comments:

  1. I used to love The Talk and then when they didn't ask Leah and Holly back, I believe, because Julie Chen didn't like them, and she uses her husband's, Les Moonves, position as President of CBS to be out of control behind the scenes, I won't watch it anymore. It's a shame because I used to love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will see what happens after this season because from I've heard these women are not set in stone.

    But I find it funny that the reason you don't watch anymore is the reason I did't like it as much as I do now with the new ladies.

    As always, thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete