Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Sandwich King is Leaning

One of the shows I look forward to each year is The Next Food Network Star.  I enjoy cooking shows as it is, but can't cook a lick (but I can write you a hit song and fix your computer - insert laughter), and this show definitely isn't any different.  What I enjoy most about it is seeing amateurs grow as cooks and as chefs.  Watching them also helps me understand the cook a bit better because we are seeing, a mentioned, amateurs, and their raw talent and how they came to hone their skills in the kitchen.

I remember the third season of the show and the winner, Amy Finley, wasn't to begin taping her show until, I believe, a week after she won, but instead, she copped out.  Apparently, Amy couldn't deal with the pressure of having her own show.  My question is how does having your own show differ in pressure than what you went through in the competition.  But I'm just a viewer looking from the other side of the TV screen.

This year's Season 7 winner was Jeff Mauro, who's Food Network Show is titled The Sandwich King.  As with all the winners since Season 3 (which is when I began watching) I like to watch their new shows.  I should add that what Food Network has done differently since Season 3 is the winners now have to start tapping their show the very next day after winning.  If Amy thought having to tape a show a week after winning, she should try taping the show the very next day.  That doesn't give you much time to rest up and plan things.  And what I have seen of the winners, they can hold their own against the veterans already on Food Network like Rachel Ray, Giada De Laurentiis, Bobby Flay and Tyler Florence, to name a few. And this season's winner was no exception.  But what stood out more with Jeff than the others was the sandwiches.  If there's one thing I love more that breakfast for dinner is sandwiches and learning of different sandwiches from the self proclaimed Sandwich King was right up my alley.  On The Next Food Network Star he was very likable and funny and had a confidence about him without being cocky.  He enjoys what he does and takes pride in his work.

I watched Jeff's show two times and could not watch anymore and the reason being is this picture:



Him leaning on that FRACKIN counter!!!  When the show starts, he's leaning on it while talking.  During the show he's leaning on it while talking and at the end, sometimes, he's leaning on it while talking.  I don't know why that bugs me so much, but it does.  I think because it looks like he's trying to hard to be cool or hip, or something and he doesn't have to be cool, hip or anything.

I had a virtual conversation with someone about this particular issue I have with his show and they stated that is he is just starting out and maybe down the line he won't lean on the counter anymore.  I sure hope so.  If he stops doing that I will back to watching, but until then, I'll stick to Kinder's.

JX2FYDM4WSW7

No comments:

Post a Comment